Choose one of these free animation software, if you want to create a cartoon, video, infographic or 2D animation even without much experience. This list contains free animation programs for beginners and professionals, as well as top-notch 3D animation software that can be installed on Windows and Mac.
- Adobe Animate - Our choice
- Blender - Open source program
- Maya - For 3D applications
- Toon Boom Storyboard Pro - A complex tool
- K-3D - Polygonal modeling tool
- Daz Studio - For 3D lovers
- Animaker - Drag-and-drop builder
- KeyShot - Rendering software
- Renderforest - An all-in-one software
- Toontastic 3D - Google’s flexible tool
- Powtoon - Presentation maker
- Pencil2D Animation - Easy to use
- Synfig Studio - For all platforms
- TupiTube - For kids and beginners
- OpenToonz - For 2D animation
- Plastic Animation Paper - For simple drawing
Here are 16 free programs for creating animated videos in 2D or 3D format, which will be useful to designers, photographers, marketers and brands that want to boost recognition.
1. Adobe Animate
- Straightforward, Adobe-style UI
- Many tutorials to master the program
- Works with all sorts of vector and bitmap photos
- Amazing export capabilities
- May be difficult for newbies
- Limited trial period
Verdict: Adobe Animate is free animation software included in the Creative Cloud. The program is so feature-rich that you may need to spend several weeks to learn them all. For example, there is an interesting function allowing you to draw new frames on top of previous ones.
The program has an integration option with your Adobe cloud library. You can use Adobe Animate to create Flash games, movie animations, kinetic typography, cartoons, animated GIFs and more. Similar features are available in Character Animator, which is a serious ground for Adobe Animate vs Character Animator rivalry.
Adobe Animate is the best photo animation software for professionals and enthusiasts, as well as those, who are already actively using Adobe products.
- Find out how to get Adobe Animate free.
Open source program
- An impressive number of features and add-ons
- Powerful modeling tools
- Simple importing of outside objects
- Pre-defined keyboards shortcuts
- Image-based animation may cause problems
- Not beginner-oriented
Verdict: Blender is one of the best free animation programs with open source and a high-quality motion graphics software. It is used for creating 3D animations, games, motion tracking, and more. The software allows artists to turn photos into 3D animations. In addition, Blender has a Rigging Tool for converting 3D models into animated characters.
Users get access to basic, e.g. video cropping, and advanced functions such as color gradation and video masking.
- Look through the list of the best free video editing software.
For 3D applications
- Performs complex animation tasks in a simple way
- Profound color management
- Suitable for creating realistic effects
- Wonderful rendering technology
- Once the free trial finishes, the price is $1,545/year
- Steep learning curve
Verdict: Maya from Autodesk is a 3D computer graphics and animation software that is especially useful for creating interactive 3D applications, movies, video games, TV shows, and more. By the way, this program was used when working on “The Lord of the Rings” and “Star Wars”, so it is definitely one of the best free animation software.
Together with Maya, you can create animated pictures, video games and add 3D effects to moving images. Besides, you can use Maya as efficient storyboard software.
4. Toon Boom Storyboard Pro
A complex tool
- Fast processing and switching
- Cooperation feature
- Many options for import and export
- Tools for video editing
- Impossible to record and edit audio
- Not for beginners
Toon Boom Storyboard Pro
Verdict: Here is an award-winning software, winner of Primetime Emmy. This is a comprehensive storyboard tool that boasts functions for drawing, creating scripts and animations, and controlling the camera and sound.
Using this best free animation software, you can create frame-by-frame animation and edit frames. You get a pressure-sensitive pencil, texture brushes, and the Bone Deform function. Thanks to onion skinning, you can control the movement and time of each animation, which makes Toon Boom Storyboard Pro a great alternative to the best motion tracking software.
- Send your footage to our video editing services and get amazing results.
Polygonal modeling tool
- Simple undo/redo functions
- A node-based visualization pipeline
- Straightforward interface
- Handles procedural and parametric tasks with ease
- No tutorials
- May be confusing for novice users
Verdict: K-3D is free 3D animation software aimed at polygon modeling. According to this approach to digital graphics, the surface of objects is represented with the help of polygons. The program contains a complete set of tools and plug-ins for such a task.
In addition to powerful polygon modeling functionality, K-3D has handy undo/redo features, which all together make it one of the best free animation software.
6. Daz Studio
For 3D lovers
- Tools for 3D animation, rendering and modeling
- GPU-accelerated real-time rendering
- Realistic characters
- Motion features
- Resource demanding
- For pro users
Verdict: Daz Studio is a free tool for creating 3D animations and short videos. The main emphasis in this good free animation software is on 3D effects. Make models, visualize them and create animations at the level of skin texture.
Other advantages of this program include fast real-time rendering and interactive tutorials to help you become the best 3D artist.
- If you want to work more productively, choose the best graphics card for video editing.
- Drag-and-drop mechanism
- Large library of animated templates
- 6 different animation video styles
- Supported on multiple devices
- Previewing causes lagging
- Limited number of animated characters in the library
Verdict: Animaker is a free online program for creating animations of various types: 2D, infographics, handcraft, whiteboard, 2.5D, typography. You can also work with audio: convert text into audio, add background music, sound effects, and voice.
I liked the drag-and-drop function, which helps create animations on the go.
- Check out more free audio editing software.
- Understandable interface
- Quickly switching between different model sets
- You can view changes in real time
- May be legally used on several computers
- Rendering could be faster
- Occasional crashes
Verdict: KeyShot is a handy free animation software for beginners with 3D rendering capabilities. Developers have added the physically correct render engine to the program to accurately copy materials from the real world and create photorealistic visualizations.
I liked the rendering quality and a simple interface. As for the minuses - the process takes a little longer, when compared with other programs.
An all-in-one software
- Intuitive user interface
- Create animation in a few clicks
- Top-quality graphics and logos
- Advanced AI technologies
- 3-min free video limit
- Watermarks added on all outputs
Verdict: Renderforest is a universal online video, animation, logo, and website maker. To create an easy animation, you have more than 50,000 unique graphic files to choose from and more than 100 ready-made templates for mobile devices.
Here you have hundreds of animated video templates at your disposal to suit your needs, including slide shows, splash screens, explanatory videos, logo displays, corporate presentations, and animated infographics.
10. Toontastic 3D
Google’s flexible tool
- Compatible with several platforms
- Easily exportable
- Works online
- Limited settings and characters
- Available only on mobile devices
Verdict: Toontastic 3D is a free mobile application from Google, originally created for children, but the functionality is also enough to generate corporate animated 3D-videos. A nice bonus – this free animation software for beginners also works offline, so you can create videos on the go or when Wi-Fi is off.
According to Google developers, you can create a one-minute video with six scenes in just a minute, excluding the time spent on creating characters.
- Variety of styles and designs
- Flexible customization of text layers
- Lots of ready-made templates
- There is a function to share the presentation
- A 3-minute video limit
- Presentations with a watermark
Verdict: Powtoon online application is mainly used for creating short videos and dynamic video presentations. There are some limitations in the free plan: you can create HD videos lasting up to 3 minutes, and the storage capacity is limited to 100 MB.
In Powtoon, you can choose your own style, change the proportions and sizes of the animation, export videos to YouTube, Facebook, Wistia, and Vimeo. There are also handy Powtoon tutorials, which makes mastering the app even quicker.
- Address our corporate video editing for fast and professional services.
12. Pencil2D Animation
Easy to use
- Simple restarting
- Cross-platform program
- Smooth switching between raster and vector files
- Step-by-step instructions
- Setting preferences aren’t saved between sessions
- The program doesn’t support video export
Verdict: Pencil2D Animation software free is used for creating 2D animated videos. It allows users to create more traditional, hand-drawn scenes.
Animator artists will like a clean, non-cluttered timeline, where it’s quite simple to add new frames on different layers, duplicate them, change the frame rate and quickly create animations with minimal effort.
13. Synfig Studio
For all platforms
- Timeline-style interface
- Bone system for complex editing of bitmap images
- Lots of top-level technical features
- Layering support
- Easy to learn
- Lacks some standard functions
Verdict: Synfig Studio is another free online 2D drawing animation software. Here you use vector graphics to create timeline animations.
To make the movements of the drawn characters more natural, the developers integrated a bone system. Thanks to the parameters of the layers, you can create dynamic characters.
For kids and beginners
- Clear UI
- Free open source program
- Supports vector illustrations
- Compatible with many file formats
- Only for 2D animation
- Limited functionality
Verdict: TupuTube is a free 2D animation program. You can use a mobile application or a desktop version.
The program supports vector illustrations. You can add rectangles, lines, polygons and other shapes. You can also import bitmap images and export finished pictures to different file formats.
- Read more about the best video format.
For 2D animation
- Open source animation software
- GTS scanning tool
- Unique Xsheets & Timelines functions
- Audio/Soundtrack Implementer
- Limited plug-ins effects
- Learning the program requires some time
Verdict: OpenToonz is open source 2D animation software. Users can enjoy vector and raster drawing tools, quick painting and color changing, blurs, lighting, keys, masks, warps, and more than 100 other effects. You can also combine animation with video, create frame-by-frame animation, motion tweening and bones character animation.
- Check out the best free drawing software.
16. Plastic Animation Paper
For simple drawing
- User-friendly interface
- Quick drawing and flipping
- Simple video and frame stacks import
- Full-frame reference on the 2nd monitor
- Only for 2D animation
- Limited functionality of a free version
Plastic Animation Paper
Verdict: Plastic Animation Paper is one of the best 2D animation software, where you can create drawings in black and white, and make them color.
You can quickly switch from one screen to another and check the drawing that you’ve created. The advantage of PAP is that the program works well with frames of any size.
Top 16 Free Animation Software for Windows and Mac? ›
- Renderforest - An all-in-one software.
- Toontastic 3D - Google's flexible tool.
- Powtoon - Presentation maker.
- Pencil2D Animation - Easy to use.
- Synfig Studio - For all platforms.
- TupiTube - For kids and beginners.
- OpenToonz - For 2D animation.
- Plastic Animation Paper - For simple drawing.
- Pencil2D Animation.
- Plastic Animation Paper.
Top 5 Best FREE ANIMATION Software (2022) - YouTubeIs FlipaClip available on Mac? ›
FlipaClip is a very useful app for creating animated videos as much as you want, every time you need to express yourself. It is an extremely user-friendly and unique app to animate your stories. It is available for iOS and Android smartphones. FlipaClip for Windows or Mac OS is not available for download.Is Blender 3D free? ›
Description. Blender is the Free and Open Source 3D creation suite. It supports the entirety of the 3D pipeline—modeling, sculpting, rigging, 3D and 2D animation, simulation, rendering, compositing, motion tracking and video editing. Support Blender development on https://fund.blender.org.What software does Pixar use? ›
Presto is the proprietary software developed and used in-house by Pixar Animation Studios in the animation of its features and short films. Presto is not available for sale and is only used by Pixar.Is Krita good for animation? ›
Is Krita good for animation? Yes. It's a fan favorite and is perfect for frame by frame animation techniques. Overall, it is an invaluable resource for any budding animators or 2D painters.Is blender good for 2D animation? ›
As soon as you open Blender you can go into 2D animation. Grease Pencil is a particular type of Blender object that allow you to draw in the 3D space. Can be use to make traditional 2D animation, cut-out animation, motion graphics or use it as storyboard tool among other things.Is Animaker 100% free? ›
There are 5 different Animaker plans that range in price from free to $79 per month. In addition, Animaker offers a significant 50% discount to users signing up with the annual payment plan.Are anime 2D or 3D? ›
2D Anime Is Currently More Popular in Japan
Although much of the rest of the world has developed towards creating primarily 3D animation, the core market for animation in Japan still largely has a preference for 2D works.
Does Disney use Maya? ›
1. Autodesk Maya. Many beginner animators want to know: What animation software does Disney use? Well, look no further—while Disney artists use a variety of animation software, one of the most popular choices is Autodesk Maya.Is Animaker a safe site? ›
The short answer is 'Yes'. Animaker uses SSL encryption to ensure a secure channel for users while using the application. This renowned security protocol ensures all sensitive information transferred between the user and the web server (Animaker) remains impossible to read for anyone else.Is Adobe animate free? ›
Yes, you can legally download Adobe Animate for free, as part of a free trial. You'll then have seven days to try it out and find out if it's right for you. A free trial is the only legitimate way to download Adobe Animate for free.Can I animate for free? ›
Powtoon is the first company to offer a free animation studio for video editing and creation. With Powtoon, you can easily create 2D animations in just a few hours. Choose your characters, props, and scene, drag and drop them into the Powtoon editor, and select the animation you want to apply. Presto!Are there free animation softwares? ›
Krita. Krita is probably one of the most highly-regarded free animation applications. Ideal for hand-drawn animation, Krita includes over 100 pre-loaded brushes, each with various effects.What is the free animation software? ›
|Product Name||Supported Systems||Free Trial|
|Blender||Linux, macOS X, Windows||Free|
|OpenToonz||macOS X, Windows||Free Basic Version|
|Pencil2d||Linux, Free BSD, MacOS X, Windows 7/8/10||Free|
|Daz studio||Windows 7-10, Vista, macOS X 10.7 going up, macOS X 10.6 going up.||Free Trail Version|